With our nation's supreme court ruling on same-sex marriage, in which the justices voted in a 5-4 decision to redefine marriage and strip states of their rights to define marriage as between one man and one woman, The Family will continue to uphold God's plan for marriage between one man and one woman, and we call on all Christians to continue to pray for the nation, and for those whose religious liberties will be directly impacted by this ruling. As a ministry we encourage individuals to:
- Respect and pray for our governing authorities even as we work through the democratic process to rebuild a culture of marriage (Rom. 13:1-7);
- teach the truth about biblical marriage in a way that brings healing to a sexually broken culture;
- affirm the biblical mandate that all persons, including LGBT persons, are created in the image of God and deserve dignity and respect;
- love our neighbors regardless of whatever disagreements arise as a result of conflicting beliefs about marriage;
- live respectfully and civilly alongside those who may disagree with us for the sake of the common good;
- cultivate a common culture of religious liberty that allows the freedom to live and believe differently to prosper.
From Family Life Today: Homosexuality & same-sex marriage Redefining Marriage
From the Christian Legal Society-Church Guidance for same-sex issues
From Focus on the Family: Historic Marriage Decision & how it will impact you and what you can do about it.
Religious Freedom-Protecting How We Practice Our Faith
From The Alliance Defending Freedom: Protecting your Ministry/Church from Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity lawsuits
Current First Amendment Defense Act in Congress-to prevent discriminatory treatment of any person on the basis of views held with respect to marriage: HR2802
Barna Research: How Christians Feel About Legalizing Same-Sex Marriage
Christian Law Association: Biblically keeping the "Main Thing" the "Main Thing."