Adapted from University of Illinois Extension
Firm fresh strawberries, blueberries, cherries, red raspberries or chopped peaches.
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line muffin cups with foil cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients, stir until well blended.
3. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in liquid mixture, and add fruit.
4. Using a flat spatula, gently fold ingredients together. Do not over-mix, dry ingredients will be moist, batter will be lumpy. Try to keep fruit whole!
5. Spoon the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with a pinch of sugar, if desired.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 12 large muffins.
Note: Fresh, whole, frozen blueberries and red raspberries worked really well.
Close this window