• 2 medium eggplants, about 1 1/2 pounds total, peeled or not.
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups fine, dry bread crumbs, with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
• olive oil for frying
• 26 ounce jar of favorite spaghetti sauce
• 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
Wash eggplant and slice into 1/4 -1/3 -inch thick slices.
Dip into beaten eggs and dredge with seasoned bread crumbs.
Place slices on a plate and chill for ½ hour to an hour.
Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet. Fry eggplant on both sides until golden and crispy.
Drain well on paper towels.
Butter a 13x9-inch glass baking dish and lightly coat with some of the leftover bread crumbs.
Spread 1/3 of the sauce in baking dish.
Layer half of the eggplant, half of the mozzarella cheese, another 1/3 of the sauce, and half the Parmesan.
Sprinkle basil on top.
Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes, until cheese is browning and bubbly.
Close this window