Stuffed Shell Pierogies
3 lbs. potatoes (about 8) peeled & quartered
8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese (2 cups)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
6 cups sliced onions (Vidalia, if you can get them)
Butter to taste
1 box jumbo shells, cooked until tender-firm, cooled under cold water
Boil potatoes until soft, drain.
Add cheese, salt & pepper, a bit of butter and milk, and mash until smooth.
Melt butter in large skillet.
Add onions and cook 10 to 15 minutes until tender but NOT browned.
Spread half the onions over the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.
Stuff each shell with a heaping Tblsp. of the potato mixture, pull edges closed a bit.
Arrange in single layer over onions, spread remaining onions on top.
Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Do add a salad, fresh brightly colored veggies, or fruit to this one!
- Great use for leftover mashed potatoes.
- Sliced mushrooms add a really nice touch to this dish, especially portabellas! Just mix and saute with the onions.
- You can divide it into two pans to save or share, or freeze the pierogies for later use.
- If it doesn't have to be a meatless dish - some crisp, crumbled bacon sprinkled on top is awesome.